Approved by the Executive Committee on April 13, 2021
I. Preliminary discussions between the faculty member, their Guidance and Oversight Committee Chair, Division Chair, and the Dean
- Faculty member discusses with their division chair interest in switching from CHS to tenure
- Division chair and dean assess the potential impact of the proposed track change on programmatic needs at the division and school levels.
- Dean approves or disapproves initiation of track change.
II. Prerequisites to be confirmed at the division level prior to initiating the track transfer request
- Years of Clock Time on the CHS Track: How many clock years does the candidate have on the SoP CHS track? Take into consideration that if more than 3 but less than 5 years, the case will also require review by the University Committee and provost. Allow an additional 1-2 months minimum for this review.
- Time in a visiting faculty appointment does not factor into the candidate’s years of service on the SoP CHS.
- The candidate must not have completed their 5th clock year as an assistant professor on the CHS track (transfer must be completed before the end of the 5th clock year).
- Track Transfer Rationale: Does the candidate’s rationale for requesting a track transfer meet one of the following two conditions, as stipulated in the SoP Policy for Faculty Track Transfers?
- The faculty member has had a clear change in career duties, activities, goals, or expectations from those specified in the original.
- The faculty member was responsible for duties and activities that initially fit the tenure track guidelines, but the individual was ill-advised or misdirected to an appointment to the CHS.
For candidates with less than 3 years clock time on the CHS track:
- The candidate’s Guidance and Oversight Committee Chair submits to the Executive Committee the track transfer request including the following documentation:
- Letter from the candidate to the division chair requesting the track transfer. The letter must clearly state which one of the above two conditions applies and provide rationale supporting the request.
- Letter of support from the division chair to the dean requesting the track transfer. The letter must include the following:
- A statement that delineates the rationale for the request (i.e., state which one of the above two conditions applies)
- Clear evidence supporting the rationale for requesting the track transfer
- Clear evidence that the candidate’s future activities will include responsibilities appropriate to a tenure track faculty role aligned with the appropriate divisional committee guidelines.
- Letter of support from the candidate’s Guidance and Oversite Committee chair.
- The candidate’s current CV.
- Signed letter from the candidate indicating that they request the track transfer and understand the rules articulated in this policy and agree to abide by them.
- The Executive Committee reviews the candidate’s dossier and other track transfer materials. The SoP Office of the Dean then provides a letter of notification to the candidate reporting one of the following decisions:
- The track transfer request has been denied; the SoP Office of the Dean notifies the candidate, their division chair, and their Guidance and Oversight Committee chair.
- The case is being referred back to the division for further documentation, clarification, or revision of materials.
- The track transfer request has been approved; the SoP Dean’s Office notifies the candidate, their division chair, their Guidance and Oversight Committee chair, and SoP HR of the decision.
For candidates with more than 3 years but within their 5th year of clock time on the CHS track, the following additional steps apply.
- If the track change request is not approved by the Executive Committee, the candidate’s track transfer request is denied.
- If the track change request is approved by the Executive Committee and supported by the dean, the candidate’s dossier will be forwarded by the Office of the Dean to the University Committee and provost for their consideration.
- Note that track transfer requests from Assistant Professor CHS to Assistant Professor tenure track must be completed prior to the end of the 5th CHS clock year. This includes University Committee and provost approvals, which will take at least two months.
- The dean will submit the candidate’s track transfer materials with a cover letter addressed to the University Committee chair requesting the University Committee review the candidate’s track transfer proposal.
- The University Committee and the provost will notify the SoP Office of the Dean of their decision.
- If the University Committee and/or the provost does not approve the track transfer request, the track transfer is denied.
- The SoP Office of the Dean notifies the candidate, their division chair, their Guidance and Oversight Committee chair, and SoP HR of the decision.